World Hypertension Day, when was the last time you checked your blood pressure (BP)?

Often neglected, hypertension or high blood pressure (over 140/90mmHg) can lead to serious health issues if not treated at the right time. In addition, accurate BP measurement is essential for proper diagnosis and management. That being said, World Hypertension Day is a great day to check your BP and make sure it’s within the normal range. This year’s theme is “Measure Your Blood Pressure Accurately, Control It, Live Longer”, and its focus is to raise awareness and promote accurate measurement around the world.

Important facts:

1. Approximately 1.13 billion people worldwide have hypertension, most (two-thirds) living in low- and middle-income countries;
  2. Before the age of 65, hypertension is more common in men, after 65 it’s higher in women;
  3. It is regarded as a silent killer because most people with high blood pressure don’t show any symptoms initially;
  4. It puts you at a higher risk for heart diseases, e.g. stroke, and also for chronic kidney disease, heart failure and dementia;
  5. BP should be checked at least once a month (check more often if you have high blood pressure);
  6. Common risk factors include age, family history of hypertension, being overweight or obese, living a sedentary lifestyle, smoking, consuming a lot of salt in food, drinking too much alcohol and high levels of stress.

When was the last time you checked your BP? How regularly do you check it? What stops you from checking it? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below

7 Likes

It’s been a while since I checked. I’m going to change my ways.

These days, hypertension is also common among young people. If you’re reading this, take deep breaths and go check your bp, please.

3 Likes

Thank you for this informative post. I needed to see it.
As a “young” person, I often neglect my BP forgetting I’m at risk as well.
Thanks a lot. I will definitely check my blood pressure today

3 Likes

Thanks for this Doosuur, I haven’t checked my blood pressure in a while. I’ll try to be more deliberate about it from now on.

2 Likes

Hi Deola!
Welcome to the APHeN community and thank you for your comment :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Debola! :wave:t4:
Yes, I agree with it being quite common among youth. Either way, let’s all remember to live a healthy lifestyle!

1 Like

Hi Gideon!!
Trying to be more deliberate is a great step in the right direction! :+1:t4:
You can also visit the nearest pharmacy and have them take your reading

2 Likes

Very well it’s really common among young people now especially because of so much pressure from societal problems young people face

1 Like

Very educative thank you

2 Likes

I saw this and I thought to share as well.

How can I prevent high blood pressure?

You can help prevent high blood pressure by having a healthy lifestyle. This means

• Eating a healthy diet. To help manage your blood pressure, you should limit the amount of sodium (salt) that you eat and increase the amount of potassium in your diet. It is also important to eat foods that are lower in fat, as well as plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
  • Getting regular exercise. Exercise can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower your blood pressure. You should try to get moderate-intensity aerobic exercise at least 2 and a half hours per week, or vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise for 1 hour and 15 minutes per week. Aerobic exercise, such as brisk walking, is any exercise in which your heart beats harder and you use more oxygen than usual.
  • Being at a healthy weight. Being overweight or having obesity increases your risk for high blood pressure. Maintaining a healthy weight can help you control high blood pressure and reduce your risk for other health problems.
  • Limiting alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can raise your blood pressure. It also adds extra calories, which may cause weight gain.
  • Not smoking. Cigarette smoking raises your blood pressure and puts you at higher risk for heart attack and stroke. If you do not smoke, do not start. If you do smoke, talk to your health care provider for help in finding the best way for you to quit.
  • Managing stress. Learning how to relax and manage stress can improve your emotional and physical health and lower high blood pressure. Stress management techniques include exercising, listening to music, focusing on something calm or peaceful, and meditating.

If you already have high blood pressure, it is important to prevent it from getting worse or causing complications. You should get regular medical care and follow your prescribed treatment plan.

I hope this helps. Take care.

2 Likes

Informative article. I think running high b.p for a long time is one of the frequent silent killers in Nigeria. I was opportuned to check mine recently and it’s ok. Thanks for the reminder Dr. Doosuur

1 Like