Malaria: A Continuous Public Health Concern

From the first recorded scientific research on malaria in 1880 to present day, malaria has consistently been a major public health concern. It was projected that by 2010, the global population at risk of malaria would reduce to 50.11% in 88 countries from 77.03% in 140 countries (Hay et al., 2004). Globally, about 217 million cases of malaria were reported in 2016 with over 2 million more cases reported in 2017 (WHO, 2018). This is particularly alarming in Africa as 90% of the global malaria cases are found in the Sub-saharan region, with nearly 25% of these cases arising from Nigeria (WHO, 2019).

Even though nine countries across the globe have maintained zero cases of malaria for 3 consecutive years within the period of 2007 to 2018, malaria still remains a continuous public health concern as every 2 minutes a child’s death is recorded due to malaria.

With the burden of malaria cases on the rise in certain countries, what are some of the effective measures that could be adopted to reduce malaria mortality by 2030? What are the roles you as an individual have to play in eradicating malaria in your society?

5 Likes

Malaria prevention needs to be taken more seriously by everyone, draining swamps that mosquitoes need to breed ,having screened windows and doors and use of insecticide treated nets are all important. Especially for at risk populations like pregnant women, children under 5 and the elderly.

Prompt treatment using appropriate medications is also necessary. The earlier treatment is commenced the lees likely it is that the disease will be severe.

4 Likes

Great! I suppose these are some of the strategies you practice to help in preventing malaria.

2 Likes

The consistent use of insecticides mosquitoes is one of the measured that should be scaled up 100%.

2 Likes

For me while the use of insecticides or mosquito repellent and use of mosquito net is good to prevent malaria, I. Suggest we should address the issues of the environment by making sure it is safe and clean because dirty environment encourages or acts as breeding ground for mosquitoes

2 Likes

Seasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC) has also proven to be quite effective since it was recommended by the WHO. If efforts are made to fund and scale it up then i think it would aid greatly in reducing malaria mortality.

2 Likes

we could reduce the mortality of malaria by 2030 via

1. Seasonal chemoprevention of malaria
  2. Arial spraying of the environment
  3. Sincere govt commitment

As an individual,

1. I have to practice what I preach by ensuring my household uses LLIN
  2. Be a malaria champion in my environment via health promotion and awareness on malaria prevention
  3. Actively participate and lead environmental sanitation calls
  4. Discourage self medication without malaria diagnosis
  5. Encourage the use of ACTs while exercising faith as cure for malaria
  6. help religious and traditional institutions in my society to reorient their members on malaria prevention strategies
2 Likes

hello @joviabraham welcome to the aphen community and thank you for your first post. I agree that those strategies can definitely help to reduce malaria mortality and if we play our parts as individuals, we can make an impact.

1 Like