Digital Eye Strain in a Digital Era

Today, nearly 70% of all digital device users across the globe have experienced digital eye strain. As stated by the American Optometric Association, Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS), popularly known as Digital Eye Strain, is a group of eye and vision-related problems which occur as a result of prolonged use of computers and other digital devices. CVS is known to be one of the major causes of reduced work productivity, low job satisfaction, and impaired visual abilities. An estimated 60 million people worldwide suffer from CVS, with a million new cases emerging each year (Sen and Richardson, 2007). In Africa, the overall prevalence of CVS is currently not known, although it was reported that 40% of computer users in Abuja, Nigeria have suffered from at least one symptom of CVS (Akinbinu and Mashalla, 2018).

About 50 - 90% of people who stare at a computer screen for prolonged hours exhibit some symptoms of CVS. The most common symptoms according to the American Optometric Association are eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision, dry eyes and pain in the neck and shoulders. Dry eye can be attributed to the fact that looking at digital screens reduce blinking from 22 to 7 blinks per minute.

To prevent Computer Vision Syndrome in this digital era, what are some of the best practices that can be adopted by you? What are the possible ocular implications of computer visual syndrome to digital device users?

5 Likes

Presently dealing with that now. Had to go get my glasses today in the hopes that it will improve. Never thought I’d say this but I miss using the good old pen and paper.

3 Likes

Eye care professionals recommend that to help alleviate digital eye strain, individuals should take a 20-second break to view something 20 feet away every 20 minutes.

2 Likes

I try to break my screen time by looking off my screen in between tasks, as this is a recommended practice to prevent CVS.

2 Likes

Sorry about that @aishat.abiri. I hope the old glasses helped because I am sure you do a lot of computer work. Yh, don’t we all miss the good old dys

1 Like

Great recommendation @LauraO . Do you happen to practice this form of management too?

1 Like

That’s great @LakaUG

1 Like

I got an antiglare glasses because of this. I use it when I notice I have been focused on my screen for a long period.

1 Like

That is a very good practice added to looking away every 20secs at an object 20fts away for 20secs. I trust it helps to reduce the computer strain…

1 Like