Why is Maternal mortality in Nigeria so high?

i agree with you on this. there has even been some provision for this in the NHIS

1 Like

@sidneaux to me that is not a surprise, what surprises me is that even Rwanda is at 208 MMR

1 Like

Poverty is a serious problem, most mothers patronize unskilled birth attendants because the could not afford delivery in public hospitals.

1 Like

This is something our government should look at especially in the North where Family planning is almost unacceptable.

1 Like

The abortion rate in Nigeria, at 33 per 1,000 women aged between 15 and 49 years, is higher than Sub-Saharan Africa’s average of 31 per 1,000 women. Therefore, the high rate of abortion is a major issue that needs to be dealt with.

1 Like

@CandidHassey I agree with you that maternal care should be subsidized, and women should be sensitized on the dangers of going to the traditional midwives who might do a botched job that might lead to both mother and babies losing their lives.

1 Like

With the whole Rwandan genocide, its not surprising. But they are getting better. I am sure, in the nearest future, it will be better. Because the government is very serious about changing things

1 Like

i once heard someone complaining that he paid up to 150,000 naira for child delivery

1 Like

Somethings should be subsidized in the country honestly, in most hospitals, a high percentage of patients unable to settle their bills are women who just put to bed.

1 Like

It has become easier to find a “mummy” that is capable of delivery than to go to hospital

1 Like

Nigeria invests so little on health. They don’t see the direct monetary return

1 Like

our decision makers need to research more on medical tourism

1 Like

Sustained political commitment by Nigerian leaders at all levels of government and long-term investment from government, development partners and other key stakeholders is needed to strengthen programs and policies that will improve women’s access to reproductive health services. This will be a key to achieving the SDG target of fewer than 70 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births.

1 Like

I believe the main reason is POVERTY, most of the countries with high maternal mortality rate are counties where either poverty is prevalent or there are just Poor Government policies. The healthcare system in Nigeria is just too expensive for the average Nigerian. That’s why people rather have an unskilled birth attendant take their deliveries. Even here in Abuja, talk more of rural areas

1 Like

So it all boils down to having money?

1 Like

It boils down to the countries having money and investing in healthcare. In developed countries, there have very very little rate of maternal mortality

1 Like

They once planned to impose taxes on medical tourism though. These taxes were to fund the primary health care system

1 Like

Many countries have managed to bring down their maternal mortality rate with little money.

1 Like

they did not even need to task them…medical tourism would bring high demand for aviation tickets , visa, food, hotel accommodation etc… which are on their own tasked

1 Like

tax on medical tourism is not necessary

1 Like