Prevalence of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria

Results from the Nigeria HIV/AIDS Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIIS) 2018 survey released by the Federal Government of Nigeria on the 14th of March, 2019 show a decrease in the HIV prevalence rate among adults aged 15-49 years. The prevalence rate among this age group is 1.4% as against previous estimates of 2.8%. With 1.9 million persons now living with HIV/AIDs in Nigeria, the nation is now placed 4th (from the 2nd position) position on the global HIV prevalence rate ranking by UNAIDS.

Even though Nigeria’s national HIV prevalence rate is now 1.4% among adults aged 15-49 years, women (1.9%) within this age range are twice more likely to be living with HIV more than men (0.9%). Amongst younger adults, the difference is greater, as young women between the ages of 20 to 24 are thrice more likely to be living with HIV compared to men in the same age group. Also, according to NAIIS 2018, the HIV prevalence rate for children between the ages of 0 and 14 is now 0.2%.

The HIV prevalence by zonal regions shows that the South-South zone of the country has the highest HIV prevalence at 3.1% among adults aged 15-49 years, followed by the North central zone (2.0%) and the South East zone (1.9%). HIV prevalence is lower in the South west zone (1.1%), the North east zone (1.1%) and the North west zone (0.6%).

With these recent findings and development, do you think Nigeria would be able to end the AIDS’ epidemic by 2030? What strategies do you think can be implemented to further eliminate the prevalence of HIV in the country?

1 Like

Reduce stigmatization of those that already have the disease, so people can get tested and actually go for treatment when diagnosed.

1 Like

Yeah but how do you think they can achieve that?

For one societal norms need to be changed

I think Nigeria would be able to combat AIDS by 2030 if efforts are intensified towards early detection and diagnosis and provision of ARVs

As regards stigmatization, I don’t think societal norms can be changed just like that, I think proper orientation needs to take place for this change to occur.

You couldn’t have said it better

I believe reducing stigmatization and influencing social norms that educate and make those with the disease comfortable would influence elimination of HIV prevalence.

2 Likes

One area that efforts can be intensified is that of Adolescents living with HIV/AIDS. If we can get it right with these group of people, we would have won the fight against HIV/AIDS by more than 80%.
At the community level, through sensitization, counseling, providing moral and social support, we can curb the spread of the infection.

At the facility level, health workers: doctors, nurses, counselors, pharmacists, medical records officers etc, need to be trained and retrained in service delivery. This can go a long way in reducing, if not eliminating stigma and discrimination across board.

Rape, drug use and abuse, injection users and various social vices are prevalent among this group. If we can get an infection free adolescent generation, we can eradicate this HIV/AIDS scourge.

2 Likes

Great contribution. Thanks. I certainly agree with you. Dealing with it from the root is a vital strategy.

1 Like

Encouraging individuals to get tested and spreading more information on how to manage the disease for those that are already infected

2 Likes

This is a nice writeup. Improving safe sexual practices by encouraging people to avoid risky sexual behaviours. This should help reduce sexually transmitted hiv

2 Likes