Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder common among women of reproductive age (Escobar-Morreale, 2018). Women with PCOS may experience irregular menstrual periods, heavy periods, excess hair, difficulty getting pregnant, and patches of thick, darker velvety skin (Crespo et al., 2018). The prevalence of PCOS in sub Saharan Africa ranges between 4-18% (Lentscher et al., 2021).

Signs and symptoms of PCOS

1. Menstrual disorders: PCOS mostly produces oligomenorrhea (fewer than nine menstrual periods in a year) or amenorrhea (no menstrual periods for three or more consecutive months), other types of menstrual disorders may also occur.
  2. Infertility: This generally results directly from lack of ovulation.
  3. Polycystic ovaries: Ovaries might get enlarged and comprise follicles surrounding the eggs (Teede et al., 2010).

Causes of PCOS

PCOS is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Risk factors include obesity, a lack of physical exercise, and a family history of someone with the condition (De Leo et al., 2016). PCOS is a heterogeneous disorder of uncertain cause. There is some evidence that it is a genetic disease (Fauser et al., 2011).

Diagnosis and treatment

There is no test to definitively diagnose PCOS. However, pelvic scans, blood tests and ultrasounds can be used to detect abnormalities (Teede et al., 2010). Its treatment focuses on managing individual concerns, such as infertility, hirsutism, acne, or obesity (Sumanta, 2020).

What do you think about this condition? Are women and girls really aware of this condition?

5 Likes

I doubt women are aware of this disorder. Issues such as hormonal disorders should be discussed on the radio, in newspapers, and even in schools.

5 Likes

Thank you Victoria. I enjoyed reading this.
I think most women are aware of this condition.
Unfortunately being aware and taking action are two different things with most Public health concerns, that have genetic predisposition as a risk factor.

3 Likes

Exactly, and so many women and girls have it but are not aware.

1 Like

You are also right, urgent action is necessary to address the situation. :+1: :ok_hand:

2 Likes