Do you know that Carbonated Drinks can affect your Oral Health?

Carbonated drinks are drinks that include carbon dioxide dissolved in water. The presence of this gas creates bubbles and fizzing in the liquid (Zahra et al., 2019).

Carbonated drinks have many potential health problems, including enamel erosion and dental cavities (Majewski, 2001). Erosion starts when the acids in the drinks come in contact with the tooth enamel, which is the outermost protective layer on your teeth. Their effect is to reduce the surface hardness of the enamel. Dental cavities may result from a long-term high intake of carbonated drinks and deterioration in oral hygiene patterns (Cheng et al., 2009).

How to prevent damage to your teeth

The best solution is to stop taking carbonated drinks but when it becomes a habit, it’s difficult for most people to stop. However, the following steps can be taken to reduce the risk of damage from carbonated drinks:

1. Reduce your intake of carbonated drinks.
  2. Use straws to help keep the damaging acids and sugars away from your teeth.
  3. Rinse your mouth with water afterwards. This will help wash away any remnant sugars and acids, and stop them from attacking your teeth.
  4. Avoid carbonated drinks before bedtime.
  5. Get regular dental cleanings and checkups to help identify problems before they worsen.

What other effects of carbonated drinks do you know? How regularly do you visit the dentist?

14 Likes

Carbonated drinks increases the risk of heart disease and also weakens the bones

3 Likes

Is Malt also a carbonated drink?

3 Likes

Yes dear, carbonated drinks does a lot of harm to the body.

3 Likes

Yes dear, Though it is believed to be lightly carbonated as compared to other drinks

2 Likes

I’ve been planning to visit the dentist for the past 2 years (because I actually consume a lot of sugary things including carbonated drinks). Your post has motivated me, so I’ll visit a dental clinic next month :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks dear, I am glad my post has motivated you!

1 Like

Insightful post…Well done!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

Nice post.

2 Likes

Thank you dear

1 Like

An interesting read. Welldone bernice :clap:t3: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Am glad you found it interesting… Thank you!

1 Like

Quite informative. Well done Bernice. Good to read from you😊

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes