Body Mass Index (BMI)

|552.0x273.0

Body Mass Index (BMI) is a mathematical calculation that estimates a person’s health status based on their height and weight. BMI is generally used to assess a person’s risk for various diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, stroke and many more (CDC, 2019).

BMI is calculated by dividing body weight (in kilograms) by the square of body height (in meters).

BMI Classification

• Below 18.5- Underweight
  • 18.5-24.9- Healthy weight
  • 25.0-29.9- Overweight
  • 30.0 and above- Obesity

Health Risks of Being Underweight, Overweight or Obese

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there are more overweight/obese people globally than underweight people. Also, about 2.8 million adults die annually as a result of being overweight or obese (WHO, 2019). Being underweight is linked to nutritional deficiencies especially iron-deficiency anemia and other health issues such as delayed wound healing, hormonal imbalance, increased susceptibility to infection and osteoporosis (weak & brittle bones) (CDC,2019).

As BMI increases over 25kg/m2, the risks increase for several health conditions like heart diseases, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, stroke, osteoarthritis (joint pain & stiffness), interrupted breathing during sleep (sleep apnea), depression and anxiety (CDC, 2019).

How to maintain a healthy BMI

• Eat balanced and nutritious diets with low calories
  • Exercise regularly
  • Get sound sleep of at least 7-8 hours per day
  • Stay hydrated (3.7 liters of fluid per day for men and 2.7 liters for women)

Do you know your BMI? What other ways can people maintain a healthy BMI?

9 Likes

Other ways may include:

1. Building a support group
  2. Make regular appointment with your doctor.

Nice article. Please do keep it up.

3 Likes

Thank you for your input…much appreciated!

1 Like

Educative and insightful… kudos.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for your input… much appreciated!

1 Like

Very educative

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

I do not know how accurate the BMI calculation would be for people with high density bones (heavy/big bones).
The heaviness of their bones contribute to their high weight which is used to calculate their BMI, the BMI calculation would then put them in the overweight or obese category while in actuality they look healthy and have minimal fatty tissues.
I know of someone that weighs around 90 and above(cos of heavy bones), BMI classification says she is overweight, very close to obese, but she is of average size (not fat or slim)

2 Likes

Thank you Bernice for this post, I will make sure to recalculate mine and know where I belong :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Quite educative, thanks.

3 Likes