Malaria in Nigeria. Is it a big deal?

What about talks to eradicate malaria completely?

1 Like

I am claustrophobic, I for one can’t be caught under a net
Forgive me :see_no_evil:

1 Like

And I’ve heard Lagos mosquitoes are a force to be reckoned with. I think one of the main challenges is keeping the environment clean.

2 Likes

My fight against malaria though is only with insecticides

1 Like

Yeah, because malaria parasites thrive in stagnant water

1 Like

Lol, it is a good fight as well

1 Like

but sincerely, if there was a human genetic immunity to malaria, I think it will be nice.

The only thing is at that point, we will not be solving the root problem which is elimination of the malaria parasite. Anyway, the good thing is that lives will have been saved

1 Like

Right now, In Nigeria, we are not even thinking of that sef. We just want to reduce it at least small

1 Like

On-going research to use genetically modified male anopheles mosquitoes, although still in its infant & early stages. They release these modified mosquitoes and let them mate with the malaria carrying female mosquitoes to produce off-springs that will be unable to carry the malaria parasite, considering the extremely short life span of mosquitoes a successful test can reduce malaria carrying mosquitoes.

1 Like

I think Nigeria is ripe for this type of research, but lack of funding and the general nonchalant(Manage it like that) attitude of Nigerians will make this extremely difficult

1 Like

But considering mosquitoes kill more people annually than any other thing in Nigeria (Yes one is more likely to get killed by a mosquito than a car). I think this type of research is worth pouring money to actualize

1 Like

You have a very good point. We actually have such a high prevalence of malaria, that it makes sense for the research to be done here.

1 Like

But really although am not a public health person, i always wonder how this statistics come about… is it that these people do not get access to drugs on time or the drugs were not effective. Also i know very well that people in the rural areas actually use alternative medicine (Local herbs) to cure malaria, i don’t have the statistics but i think its quite effective. Please correct me if am wrong

1 Like

Wow… That’s a really interesting stat

1 Like

Malaria kills children. As we grow older, we develop a form of immunity where it is not as deadly. But it kills children and older people

2 Likes

One key thing in the fight against malaria is heightened awareness of the need to keep clean and trash free environments; this means properly cut lawns, elimination of stagnant pools of water, proper disposal of household waste (especially food waste) to limit breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Rather than pushing medication that the malaria parasites have become resistant to, one should ensure possible breeding grounds of mosquitoes are eliminated.

Less Mosquitoes = Less Malaria cases :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So simple, yet so hard to implement because it deals with changing human behaviour

1 Like

No!..Please come to Kano and experience the bit of these wonderful species of mosquitoes. This ones are Big with a MISSILE force to be reckoned with.

2 Likes

I think the best way to combat malaria is to first create a better drainage, keep our environment clean then bed nets, diagnostics and treatment.

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like